Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Losing it...the post baby diaries...October 26

As promised...here is a look at my food diary for yesterday!

Breakfast 
Organic steel cut oats (1/4 cup dry), 2 tsp brown sugar, 1 tsp organic butter, tea with 1/2 cup organic 1% milk and an organic apple.

Approximately 341 calories, 10 grams of protein and 7 grams of fibre

The dietitian in me thinks this is a pretty balance breakfast: fibre, protein and slowly released carbohydrates for sustained energy (thanks to steady blood sugars). For weight loss, I typically like to see a little more protein and energy; you could add 1/2 cup cottage cheese to accomplish this nicely.

Lunch
1 egg, scrambled into 1 1/2 cups of leftover beans and rice stew topped with 1/4 cup light feta cheese

Approximately 440 calories, 28 grams of protein and 8 grams of fibre

This is a good lunch but a little bit light on the veggies...a super quick side salad of baby spinach and cherry tomatoes would bump up the veggie servings without adding much in the way of calories.

Snack
1 pear with tea with 1/2 cup organic 1% milk

Approximately 150 calories, 4 grams of protein and 4 grams of fibre

Dinner
Scrambled extra firm organic tofu with carrots, soy sauce and 1 cup of brown rice

Approximately 400 calories, 18 grams of protein and 5 grams of fibre

The dietitian in me says "not bad at all!" This is a good balance of grains, vegetarian protein and veggie servings.

My totals for the day: approximately 1331 calories, 60 grams of protein (18% of total calories) and 24 grams of fibre. This is a bit low for a lactating female...I did get 3 calcium servings and almost exactly met my daily goal for fibre. I also could have stood to bump up my fruit and veggie servings, as I only got 5 of my 7-10 for the day. More snacks could have helped with this (or the side salad at lunch). This is one of the biggest challenges I find being at home with a little one: I rarely think to snack and make lunch as quick as possible, so I am not always perfectly balanced in terms of nutrients. The good news is that this is a pretty healthy day overall...and I get a whole new chance to eat even better again today!

In good health,
Desiree

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Desiree,

I came across your blog when I was searching for a Choices cooking class awhile ago. I had a baby 15 months ago and can sympathize with the challenge of losing the "baby weight". I enjoy reading your blog and like getting new ideas for nutritious snacks from you. In regards to exercise, how is the Tracy Anderson dance DVD? I'm thinking about ordering it but I find I'm not the best with self-motivation...are you finding it to be effective?

Thanks,
Amanda

Unknown said...

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for reading! The dance cardio is incredibly effective. I have only been doing it once a week so I am trying to do it more often. I am still trying to learn the choreography so it is a decent workout but nowhere near the nonstop butt kicking it is once you can just do the dance nonstop. I might recommend her new beginners dance cardio because it is a bit tough to get the choreography down! I feel ridiculously uncoordinated.