Friday, June 10, 2011

Eat...Rhubarb

Rhubarb Compote with a little Greek Yogurt and Nature's Path Hemp Granola

At the Trout Lake Farmer's Market last weekend, I bought four hulking stalks of rhubarb, which I promptly forgot about in the fridge until Wednesday. So how to revive it? Make a super easy compote. It is so delicious and easy to eat. I ate it over yogurt and granola for breakfast, downed it by the spoonful and even made it into popsicles. 

Recipe
Cardamon Scented Rhubarb Compote

4 large stalks (2 lbs) of local rhubarb
1 cup water
1/2 cup sweetener of your choice ( I used good old fashioned sugar)
Ground Cardamon and Cinnamon to taste (start with 1/8 tsp each and work your way up)

Chop rhubarb into 1 inch pieces and combine with water and sweetener in a pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Add spices and then slowly simmer for about 15 minutes for flavours to blend. Stir occasionally and the rhubarb should breakdown and the mixture should be like a loose jam. Let cool and then refrigerate or eat on the spot!

To make into popsicles, simply fill molds and freeze. OR....I mixed about a cup of the mixture with a shot of vodka and then filled the molds. Vodka and rhubarb and popsicles? Most definitely.

Cheers,
Desiree

1 comment:

Marianne (frenchfriestoflaxseeds) said...

Oh rhubarb, how I love you. And yet, I have yet to create anything with fresh stuff this year. We even had 4 tiny little stalks from our garden that my mom harvested, and we promptly forgot in the fridge until today, only to find them, well, liquefied. Perhaps I will find my way to the Farmer's market this weekend and buy to right this horrible wrong!