Thursday, December 1, 2011

Be Happy...Healthy Holiday Gifts

It's Christmastime, so that can only mean one thing...the 12 blog posts of Christmas!!!


I am a bit of a Christmas freak. I love the glitter and twinkle lights and holiday cheer. It almost makes me forget that the days are dark and damp and that we are far from the warmth of beach season. Now that it is December 1st, I am thinking all about Christmas goodies.  Just for fun, this month I am going to feature some of my favourite things that have come across my path in 2011 that would be perfect to give or receive this holiday season. 


Since my bookshelves are creaking under the weight of my bibliophilic tendencies, I can think of no better place to start than books. I have placed all of these books in my Amazon shop, just to make things easy for you this holiday season!


Spilling the Beans by Julie van Rosendaal and Sue Duncan


Any book that devotes itself to the humble bean is okay by me. By far and away, the main reason I hear cited for not including more beans in your diet is not knowing what to do with them. Well, now you know! 


Food Cures by Joy Bauer MS RD CDN with Carol Svec


This book, written by uber-dietitian Joy Bauer, is the nutrition geek's saving grace. Want to know what foods to eat for better skin? Check page 63. Need a grocery list to help you fight heart disease? See page 141. If you believe like I do that food is your medicine, this is the book for you.


Une Journee a El Bulli by Ferran Adria


I recently saw the El Bulli documentary at the Vancouver Film Fest and it reminded me that I have this in my book shelf. I devoured it in just a single day after receiving it a couple of Christmases ago. El Bulli closed its doors before I ever got a chance to dine there (sigh!) as the height of culinary creativity. This is hardcore foodie fare. It masquerades as a cookbook but if you are brave enough to get out the dry ice for the margarita, you've got one up on me.


Seasons by Donna Hay 


I am a huge Donna Hay fan...where can I sign up for her job? The ultimate food stylist turned cookbook author turned magazine editor, now food TV star, released this "best of" book which compiles recipes from her magazine. The pictures are gorgeous and many of the recipes are, as always, refreshingly simple.


Food Rules by Michael Pollan, illustrated by Maira Kalman


Michael Pollan, patron saint of conscious food consumerism, has deftly released a new illustrated version of his food rules book just in time for the season of consumerism. I couldn't resist. The perfect, entertaining read as you sit on the couch post turkey dinner.



2 comments:

chow and chatter said...

great suggestions I want the Ferran Andria one will add to wish list

Connie the Cookie Monster said...

you should add in defense of food in there too! a GREAT read by michael pollen. that book changed my life